Perfect Finish Ultimate Protection Decking Stain
Doing your deck can take time and effort. To get the job done fast, without the backache, use our Perfect Finish Ultimate Protection Decking Stain. You get everything you need in one pack - pad, poles and the liquid. You have lots of colours to choose from, and it lasts twice as long as standard decking stains.
- It soaks into the wood so it lasts longer
- Stops wood from greying and splitting
- Rainproof in 90 minutes
- 5 x faster than using a brush
Great product, awful applicator by Shaun
Don't waste your money on this. The stain itself is great stuff, but the applicator pad is totally useless on grooved decking. After using the pad to coat a section of my deck, I gave up trying to get it into the grooves, and ended up having to use a brush. More effort, but a far better finish.
Date submitted by: 30 May 2016
Write a review
Why choose Ronseal Perfect Finish Ultimate Protection Decking Stain?
Our Perfect Finish Decking Stain includes our Perfect Finish pad and pole. It'll help you get the job done fast, putting an end to getting on your hands and knees with a brush.
This is our Ultimate Protection Decking Stain. It'll keep your deck protected from the weather and looking great all year round. In fact, it'll last twice as long as standard decking stains.*
Before you start
- Choose a warm, dry day (above 10°C) and clear the deck.
Untreated, grey and weathered decks
- Our decking stain will look much better on a nice clean deck, so use our Decking Restorer to take it back to it's natural colour. It also helps the stain to stick, which helps it last longer.
- Most new decks come with a bit of waterproofing protection. This could stop the stain from sticking. There are 2 ways to avoid this:
- You can leave your deck to weather for 3 to 6 months then give it a clean with our Cleaner and Reviver. When it's dry you can put on the stain.
- Or, if you want your deck to look great straight away, give it a scrub with our Cleaner and Reviver. Once scrubbed, throw some water on the deck and see if it beads. If it doesn't you'll be ready to put on the stain. If it does then you'll have to clean it again until the water stops beading.
Previously Painted Decks
- If your deck is flaking and peeling, use our Decking Stripper to get it back to bare wood. It's not as hard as you think and it's definitely worth it. If it's in good condition and just a bit dirty, scrub with our Cleaner and Reviver.
Using Your Stain and Pad
- You'll find the Perfect Finish Pad in the tray at the top of this tub. Before you take it out, lay some paper down. Some of the stain may be on the bottom of the tray.
- There's an instruction leaflet in the tub, showing how the poles fit together. Please read it, otherwise you might not put it together correctly and it could fall apart. (You have been warned)
- Give the stain a good stir and dip it in the pad. Check you're happy with the colour, find a small hidden patch of wood and try it.
- Start in the furthest corner, then push or pull the pad in long strokes down the length of the boards. Work on 3-4 boards at a time so you don't get any overlap marks.
- You'll need to put on 2 coats. Leave for 4 hours between each coat. After 24 hours the stain will reach full hardness, so you'll need to wait until then, before getting your furniture back out.
- If you get any stain on yourself, wash it off with warm soapy water.
- Note: If you run out of stain, Ultimate Protection Decking Stain also comes in a 2.5L tin. You can use this as a top up.
- Scrape as much stain as you can off your pad and wash it out in warm, soapy water. Don't empty any left over paints into drains or watercourses. Your local authority may have special ways to get rid of unused paints.
Where can I use it?: Ridged or smooth hardwood or softwood decking. Don't try to cover a dark stain with a lighter colour. You'll need to strip it off first.
How much will it cover?: With 2 coats this 2.5L tub will cover approximately 10m2 on ridged boards, and 12m2 on smooth planed boards.